hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: fsck with the move option
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 06:23:25 GMT
Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
> Why not go after the FS APIs so you can simply read the remaining good
> blocks?  Might it work already if you had a client that skipped a
> block if it found a missing one (via error/exception)?  Or create
> empty blocks...

Well, this version of fsck is an interim solution anyway. Currently
corrupted files can't be processed, so we need a way to weed them out,
and possible recover as much data as possible from the leftovers.

My point is that we have no other way to do it now. If/when the missing
block handling improves so that it doesn't kill jobs, we can change this
part of fsck to simply move files; for now I think a middle-ground
solution (additional -recover option) would be better.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><