hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: HBase Design Ideas, Part I
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 03:56:26 GMT
Seems like you are exporting a lot of complexity to the clients by
having them find the table chunks via DFS read.  Lots of data motion
and sync / cache issues there.  When not just ask the master for the
block/server of a key?  Or you could distribute this work over your
HRegionServers if you don't want to stress the master.  All this
could be kept fresh in RAM there (segmented if you get huge). [but
this adds complexity]

As I read you design, it sounds like you might be doing a lot of
seeks to find a record (do you need to scan all the logs to see if a
key is present?).  Best to outline the performance you want and then
look at the ram / disk trade-offs.  IE you can store everything in
BTRees, but then you will thrash you disks.  Or you can store
everything linearly and store all your unmerged entries in RAM.  This
would have different costs/benefits...