hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem starting hadoop
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:47:37 GMT
Chris Mattmann wrote:
>>You can override this by editing conf/hadoop-env.sh.  Both are optional,
>>but convenient.  Perhaps we should avoid using them until they're in
>>wider distribution.
>
> Yeah, I think it would be nice to find a workaround to explicitly using
> these options.

Is adding the following line to your conf/hadoop-env.sh not good enough?

export HADOOP_SSH_OPTS=""

Or are you arguing that we should make that the default?  I'd be okay
with that.

>>Instead of 'bin/start-all.sh' that's just 'bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start
>>namenode; bin/hadoop-daemons.sh start datanode'.  Is that what you're
>>after?  I guess we could add a bin/start-dfs.sh command that does this.
>
> Yeah, that's exactly what I'm after. [ ... ] Anyways, getting back to the
> point, yeah, it would be great to have something to just start and stop DFS,
> and start and stop MapReduce for that matter, even if it just amounts to the
> simple command you mentioned above. I've attached a quick patch for Hadoop
> that implements it.

Can you please attach this to a bug so that we don't lose track of it?

Also, we should probably change the -all scripts to be based on the -dfs
and -mapred scripts, no?

Doug