hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject code checker
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 19:07:25 GMT
The issue of unused variables and imports has come up for Hadoop.
Different folks use different development environments, not all of which
warn about the same things.  Perhaps if we integrated a code checker
into Hadoop's build process then we could more easily guarantee that
commits are not made that contain such things.

The PMD project includes an Ant task that implements code checking:

http://pmd.sourceforge.net/ant-task.html

We could incorporate this into Hadoop's build.xml.  We could add a
"pre-commit" task that performs this along with "clean", "test", and
perhaps "javadoc".  The PMD rule sets that look reasonable to me are:
"Basic", "Unused Code", "Import Statements".

What do folks think?

Would anyone like to volunteer to add something like this to build.xml?

Doug