hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: dfs datanode heartbeats and getBlockwork requests
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:23:19 GMT
I would rather avoid having to declare the set of expected data nodes if
we can avoid it, as I think it introduces a number of complexities.  For
example, if you wish to add new data nodes, you cannot simply configure
them to point to the name node and start them.  Assuming we add a notion
of 'on same rack' or 'on same switch' to dfs, and can ensure that copies
of a block are always held on multiple racks/switches, then it's
convenient to be able to safely take racks and switches offline and
online without coordinating with the namenode.  If a switch fails at
startup, and 90% of the expected nodes are not available, we should
still start replication, no?  I think a startup replication delay at the
namenode handles all of these cases.  If we're worried that the
filesystem is unavailable, then we could make the delay smarter.  The
namenode could delay some number of minutes or until every block is
accounted for, whichever comes first.  And it could refuse/delay client
requests until the delay period is over, so that applications don't
start up until files are completely available.

Doug