hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Runping Qi" <runp...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Can we use the features that are new in Java 1.5 for Hadoop contribution?
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:37:15 GMT

I am thinking of the parameterized collection library.

Runping

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 2:29 PM
To: hadoop-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Can we use the features that are new in Java 1.5 for Hadoop
contribution?

Runping Qi wrote:
> In other words, does Hadoop need to be compatible with Java 1.4?

That's a good question.  I think it also really needs to be asked on the
Nutch user list, since most Hadoop users are using Hadoop via its
inclusion in Nutch.  The issue will be (from my experience with Lucene)
folks whose platform does not yet support Java 1.5.  Owen & looked into
this a bit, and it seems like Java 1.5 has made it to Macs, FreeBSD,
etc. by now, but it's hard to know whether there are other fringe
platforms that don't yet have a solid Java 1.5 port.  We don't need to
support everyone forever, but we also don't want to alienate a host of
users.

What features are you interested in using?  Some features, like the
concurrency stuff, have been backported.  (Nutch currently uses a
backported version of that.)  Others, like generics, would be more
difficult to back-port.

Doug