hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Darek Zbik <d.z...@softwaremind.pl>
Subject Re: Different Key/Value classes for Map and Reduce?
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:27:58 GMT
Runping Qi wrote:

>When the reducers write the final results out, its output format is obtained
>from the job object. By default, it is TextOutputFormat, and no conflicts.
>However, if one wants to use SequencialFileFormat for the final results,
>then the key/value classes are also obtained from the job object, the same
>as the map tasks' output. Now we have a problem. It is impossible for the
>map outputs and reducer outputs use different key/value classes, if one
>wants the reducers generate outputs in SequentialFileFormat.

I have this problem in real situation. I solve it by creating my own output
format which is in fact copy-paste of the SequentialFileFormat with small
changes (simply a took output class from ohter (my own) job property). I
think
that each hadoop job shoud have posibility to denote output key/value from
reduce task (eg. {set,get}ReducerOutput{Key,Value}).

darek