hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Calvert <jcalv...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Writable vs Externalizable
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:11:17 GMT
With the move to Hadoop, is moving from Writable to Externalizable
being considered?  (I'm of the same mind as Stefan's sentiment below.)

Jeremy

Stefan Groschupf  2005-08-08 14:49 wrote

> What do others think?

I think, RMI isn't a good idea. I waste a  lot of time with it. I
like the nutch rpc very much.
However I think usage of Externalizable is a good idea, first it is a
very small change.
Second many users use nutch for very custom things and usage of
Externalizable make customization more easily.
For example using caching frameworks, (what in some case makes a lot
of sense), post or pre processing data, experimental data storages etc.

For sure such a change is low priority but I would love to see it.

Stefan