hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r376366 - in /lucene/hadoop/trunk: build.xml src/webapps/jobtracker/ src/webapps/mapred/
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:14:46 GMT
Bryan A. Pendleton wrote:
> I had to fix
> things up because there's not equivalent of hadoop-site.xml for environments
> and slaves - why use a directory-dependent set of configuration files, but
> ~/.slaves by default?

No good reason.  The default slaves file should probably be something
like conf/hadoop-slaves.txt.  Please file a bug and/or patch.

> Anyway, once I got JAVA_HOME fixed up and started a
> single set of daemons, I still get the 404 error.

Are there any errors in the jobtracker log file, when it starts Jetty?

> Actually, I think I'll go file a feature request to this effect, but it'd be
> nice if hadoop/nutch specific environment variables were stored in someplace
> in conf, as well.

I agree that this should be done.  My plan is to add a hadoop-env.sh
file that is sourced by hadoop scripts.  This is where folks can set JVM
and HADOOP-specific environment stuff.  Note that, in a distributed
configuration, this file, like hadoop-site.xml and the hadoop code, has
to be copied to all nodes as a bootstrapping step.

Doug