gump-general mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Board Report
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:34:28 GMT
On 13/12/17 10:10, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>> Looks OK.
>>> I think it would be better to mention the date when hickup happened,
>
>>> s/After a hickup the service seems to be good again./After a hickup in
>>> September 2017 the service seems to be good again./
>
>> Nitpick. s/hickup/hiccup/
>
> Thanks to both of you. I've changed the sentence and will submit the
> report today.
>
>> There is probably a good(ish) reason for this unexpected spelling but I
>> have no ideas what it is.

Sorry, I just realised the above was not clear. I meant that there was
probably a good(ish) reason for the unexpectedness of the correct
English spelling. I was bemoaning the lack of logic in my native language.

> In German there is the verb "hicksen" which means "to hiccup" so I'm
> especially vulnerable here (the noun is totally different, though,
> "Schluckauf").

Interesting. I'll try and remember that although I'm not sure if I can
remember enough other German to be able to use it ;)

Mark