gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [GUMP@vmgump]: Project ooxml-schemas (in module poi) failed
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2016 15:31:34 GMT
Hi Dominik

On 2016-10-20, Dominik Stadler wrote:

> Since some time one of the steps in the POI builds inside Gump is failing,
> see below. We think it is related to the 1 hour timeout that is applied by
> default.

Yes, looks that way.

> The step compiles a big number of files, but finishes in a few minutes
> usually. Our builds on the Apache Jenkins instance usually take up to 40
> minutes for the complete build which includes a number of additional steps,
> so we are not sure why it is taking so long here, maybe the machine is
> quite limited on memory/CPU?

Yes, vmgump is a pretty limited. We are in the process of replacing it,
but it may take a while until we get there.

> Is there a simple way to try to increase the timeout for this specific
> build?

This is not implemented, although most of the infrastructure would be
there.

In case anybody with some working Python knowledge can spare a bit of
time: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/live/ holds the code.

All builders create an instance of gump.util.process.Cmd and the timeout
value could be configured via a constructor arg. For POI it would be
enough to add an optional timeout property to
gump.core.model.builder.Ant (likely Builder would be the better place)
and use that from gump.core.build.Ant.getAntCommand - the builder
instance is project.ant.

I'm not sure how quick I'd be able to make the changes myself, I'm
switching between a couple of tasks (including the new VM for gump)
right now.

Stefan