gump-general mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gump is building stale Checkstyle sources (and other GitHub projects)
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:32:11 GMT
Hi!

Git reset is a good thing.  It is "git pull URL branch" here that is wrong.

The correct pull command will be "git pull" or "git pull origin",  but
not "git pull URL" that is currently used.

I think the way to go is "git fetch" + "git reset".

My idea is to

1. Update refs/remotes/origin/<branchname> to point to tip of remote branch.
This is what "git fetch" does.

(git pull also does that as it is actually a combination of "git
fetch" + "git merge")

2. Align local branch with remote one.
This is done by "git reset --hard".

I think that this is the fastest way. We do not need the "merge" part
of git pull, as we do not do any local development and do not need to
keep any local changes.

Also there can be a situation when remote branch proceeds in a
non-trivial way, e.g. is reset to some historic revision, or is
rebased completely rewriting the history.    I think that "git merge"
wouldn't be able to deal with that (as it tries to apply the changes
to local branch, and this local branch can be irrelevant here), but I
expect that "git fetch" + "git reset --hard" will be able to deal with
it.

3. I have never worked with "git submodule" command.
I see that it does not hurt, it is noop for projects that do not use
git modules.

I wonder whether we have a project using this feature.