gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gradle is too smart ...
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:03:45 GMT
On 2015-02-11, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> inconsistent module metadata found. Descriptor: junit:junit:4.13-SNAPSHOT Errors:
bad version: expected='4.12' found='4.13-SNAPSHOT'

> I'll need to look into the Gradle docs to see whether one can override
> this check in any way.

Not in any way that was documented and looking through the code the
check is burried pretty deeply in a class I don't see any easy way to
replace.

My next attempt was to use "artifact only" dependencies that don't
require a POM but Gradle still looks for a POM and will parse it if it
is there (it just won't die if there is no POM at all).

Next attempt - not even committed because it works but shows a new
problem - replace the dependency version with "latest.integration" which
is Ivy parlance for "the most recent thing you find" and throw in
Sonatypes OSS Nexus Snapshots.  Gradle is going to download a -SNAPSHOT
from there, unfortunately there is a 5.0-SNAPSHOT of JUnit built from a
different branch and thus not the one we want.

I'm pretty much down to modifying the maven repo proxy to either rewrite
POMs it delivers itself (and rewrite the version to the one requested
via the PATH) or rewrite the maven-metadata.xml to only include the very
latest version.  I can't say I'm fond of either and would be glad if
anybody else has better ideas.

Maybe having Gradle pick the very latest SNAPSHOT is in the true spirit
of Gump without Gump having to build everything and we should just leave
the Maven proxy out of the loop completely.  Of course this would remove
the ability of sticking with a specific major version we need to employ
in other cases.

Stefan