gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <adam.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where to go with Gump?
Date Mon, 20 May 2013 22:08:43 GMT
Stefan et al,

I hesitate to reply since I've not contributed in quite some time (and yes, that is some *significant*
British understatement. ;-)

As somebody who found them self sucked away from Gump, I want to express my appreciation (and
admiration) for all the Gump efforts over the years. There may be no direct uses of Gump but
every issue resolved early is a valuable contribution to the full stack of projects hove there,
with countless hours saved from fighting incompatibilities, and OSS productivity gains.

That said, the fact that the burden of metadata maintenance has been on Gump committers speaks
volumes (either to it's usability or it's acceptance.) Perhaps the value that Gump provides
(i.e. early warning of backwards compatibility issues) is just too far removed from those
working on projects to be anything more than a nagging annoyance. It is a voice for the user
of a library, but few seemed to appreciate it as such. Maybe if it only built stacks of pre-release
candidates to ensure that releases were compatible (or at least discontinuities were accounted
for) it would get more respect. Not sure.

I definitely believe that Gump committers alone should NOT do the bulk of the metadata maintenance
and issue resolving, however I wonder if it is the type of services that won't be missed until
it is gone, and if this discussion should be put to a wider community (once fully discussed
here.)

regards,

Adam

Adam R. B. Jack