gump-general mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: compatibility issue
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 03:35:53 GMT

From: "Ludmila Shikhvarg" <Ludmila.Shikhvarg@oracle.com>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 5:47 PM
To: <general@gump.apache.org>
Subject: compatibility issue

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new gump user and started to use gump for jdk compatibility testing.
> I'm using gump source from https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/trunk/
> (use http://gump.apache.org/gettingstarted.html as a reference) with
> different build of jdk7 from https://jdk7.dev.java.net/index.html
> Some projects (exp: junit, hamcrest) are failed to build due to:
> [javac] javac: target release 1.5 conflicts with default source release
> 1.7
>
> Is it a known issue?
> Where can I report any issues related to jdk7?

Welcome to the Gump community!

Gump doesn't normally override these properties (and doesn't for the two
projects you mentioned).  So normally you have to contact the projects
themselves and lobby to change their build settings.  The main purpose of
Gump is to give projects warning that changes down the road will cause them
to break, so what you are doing fits with Gump.  The junit project has
generally been responsive to changes, but haven't worked with hamcrest.
Since both the projects you mentioned are Ant builds, another possibility is
to lobby Ant to change their defaults.  The mailing list for that is
dev@ant.apache.org.  However, since I'm not really involved with Ant
personally, I don't know what their community feels about such a change.  It
is possible that Stefan can weigh in on that if he wants to.