gump-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: size of java cache dirs - .ivy is huge!
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:13:28 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> Of interest:
>
>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# cd ~gump
>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .ivy
>   1.2G    .ivy
>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .maven
>   41M     .maven
>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .m2
>   791M    .m2
>
> While we have a bunch of different stuff in .maven and .m2, almost all
> of the stuff in ~gump/.ivy is smartfrog artifacts, going back months and
> months and months. There's no reason for gump to keep months of
> generated jars. I'd argue that either
>
>   * there must be a way to configure ivy to do a "SNAPSHOT" thingie
>
> or
>
>   * we must erase ~/.ivy after every run
>
> opinions?

+1 to killing ivy and .m2 regularly

I've just tweaked my gump target to run our ivy-purge target before each
gump build;  this pulls all smartfrog artifacts from ~/.ivy/published
and ~/.ivy/cache ; its what we do before releases to make sure there
isnt any legacy state in there. I could add something similar for the m2
repository. This will stop smartfrog leaking versions, though gump is
still vulnerable to anything else publishing in to ivy

-steve

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/