gump-general mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject RE: Junit nagging and CVS timeouts
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:59:41 GMT

killing commons-collections last week.  The short version is that when Ant
auto-detects JUnit-4, it doesn't look for the static suite() method, and
just assumes that you've defined all of your tests with Annotations.

> David Saff mentioned that he had not gotten any automated failure
> messages from Gump for junit, though I would have suspected some on
> 09-Mar-2006.  So I dived into looking at the project gump
> descriptor,
> not realizing that he had been added as the nagee on the 12-
> Mar-2006.  Before I realized it was a brand new entry, I did notice
> that the "to" address in the junit nag contained &lt; and &gt; and
> that no "to" address in nag elements in other projects contained
> those characters.   They were common  in "from" addresses.  Maybe it
> isn't wrong, just different.
>
> Anyway, it seemed undesirable to nag him personally instead of the
> development list.  Thought it may be good to use him as the
> sender to
> get through the non-subscriber blocking and to avoid replies and
> bounces to general@gump.apache.org.  Any comments on changing the
> junit nag as described below?

Well, David Saff agreed to be nagged personally (check the general@gump
archives), not the entire junit project.  There are a number of other
projects that nag an individual instead of the development list.  Since the
nags are usually once a day, it looks ok to change it to the junit-devel
list.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: David Saff <saff@mit.edu>
> > Date: March 15, 2006 11:55:13 AM CST
> > To: Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org>
> > Cc: junit-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Junit-devel] SourceForge CVS
> >
> > Curt Arnold wrote:
> >> The current project descriptor contains:
> >>
> >>     <nag from="Gump Integration &lt;general@gump.apache.org&gt;"
> >>          to="David Saff &lt;saff@mit.edu&gt;" />
> >>
> >> I could change it to:
> >>
> >>     <nag from="David Saff &lt;saff@mit.edu&gt;"
> >>               to="junit-devel@lists.sourceforge.net" />
> >>
> >> or post a request to the Gump mailing list to review your project
> >> descriptor.
> >
> > I have no knowledge of Gump nag descriptor formatting, so
> I'll have
> > to ask your help on this.  How often are the nag messages
> sent?  If
> > it's daily or less, then sending it to junit-devel should
> be fine.
> > Otherwise, please have it sent straight to me.  Thanks,
> >
> >    David Saff
>
> Also, the anonymous CVS server for junit has been unresponsive as
> seen in the "All dressed up" message on 09-Mar-2006 (http://
> marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gump&m=114190474119176&w=2).
>

> The following annotations (debug/informational/warning/error
> messages) were provided:
>   -ERROR- *** Failed to update from source control. Stale contents ***
>
> I thought that I saw a similar error in the log for the 14-Mar-2006
> Gump run, though the 15-Mar-2006 run completed successfully.  Should
> a nag message had been sent if the same problem occurred yesterday?
> Any documentation of CVS failures may be helpful to the SourceForge
> staff in identifying the problem with the JUnit CVS or at
> least gives
> JUnit documentation when to back up their complaints.
>
> If source control failure does not result in a Nag message, maybe it
> should be configurable to do so.

The SF CVS repos is notorious for failing.  As a result, the 'live' branch
(which is what runs on vmgump) just continues on with the stale checkout.
The clarus and helos runs are using 'trunk', which would presumably nag if
they were configured to do so.

> I've told David that I would raise the issues here and take
> no action
> myself without feedback.  I think it would be desirable to
> change the
> nagee to junit-devel@lists.sourceforge.net instead of saff@mit.edu
> and believe he consents since the messages should be at most daily.
> I'll defer to more experienced hands on the proper from address.

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.