gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 05:02:13 GMT
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:37:37AM +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This is to "solve" the junit stuff right?
>>
>> JUnit is the most prominent project to require Java 5 ATM, but
>> hardly the only one.  We've had other projects breaking for months
>> now because we didn't provide a Java 5 environment.
>
> Oh. Do you have a (partial) list (in your head or elsewhere)? Are
> these projects "leaf" projects or "core" projects?

Leaf.  Some of the smartfrog things, myfaces and at least one other
that I forget right now.

Bill might know, but as he already said, myfaces needs Maven2 now, so
we won't be able to build it anyway.

> The other big one is the template collections (whatever its called,
> the <Foo>List stuff).

Generics.

> The ant project is an example of a project which is very aware of
> its role like that.

It won't compile on JDK 1.1 any longer 8-)

> I feel that gump is failing in that role with this jdk 1.4 -> 1.5
> stuff, and failing in a big way, and I find it frustrating that
> we're not able as a team to contribute a whole lot to easing this
> kind of thing and this kind of mess.

I've read somewhere that Sun was challenging people to find backwards
incompatibilities in Mustang.  Maybe we should start building with a
1.6 snapshot.

> Its my perception that the people working on JUnit 4 have decided to
> take a "bite the bullet" (or the "sour apple") approach to this
> migration, and I think this is wrong,

They've decided to require JDK 1.5 at compile time.  I think JUnit
still doesn't require it at runtime if you use the JUnit 3 style of
tests.

Stefan