gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:37:37 GMT
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:

> This is to "solve" the junit stuff right?

JUnit is the most prominent project to require Java 5 ATM, but hardly
the only one.  We've had other projects breaking for months now
because we didn't provide a Java 5 environment.

> I'm personally not happy with how effectively there's this one
> project run by a bunch of people who don't particulary understand
> enough about backwards compatibility

I don't think you are fair here.  JUnit 4 uses a completely different
approach that has been enabled by annotations.  I'm a happy NUnit user
(.NET unit testing framework) and can tell you that using annotations
really is a step forward over the JUnit 3.x approach.

And when it comes to backwards compatibility, it is very likely that
all our JUnit 3.8 tests in Gump will work with JUnit 4 as well.  It's
simply that JUnit wants to use annotations and the only way forward
was to require Java 5 at compile time.

Stefan