gump-general mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven 1.1 (was Re: svn commit: r330729 - /gump/metadata/project/struts.xml)
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:00:54 GMT
On 11/14/05, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 09:53:01PM +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> > We probably need a compatibility option, but it's listed on the known
> > incompatibility pages.
>
> Aw, that sucks as a concept! I thought maven1 was going to stay compatible
> and there'd be painfulness only once (maven1 -> maven2)?

Why is having to set a compat option painful?

It's about getting better metadata - a lot of people make typos and
don't realise it, and its hard to track down.

There's nothing in there we set out to break existing builds with, but
we did drop support for things that we said a long time ago were
unsupported.

> IMHO maven is broken and its behaviour should change. Validate XML if
> there is a reference to a DTD or a schema or a pomVersion bigger than X,
> otherwise preserve the old behavior. Or something.

There is a schema. It's optional to declare it.

> If maven is not going to change, then yes, that would make sense, but
> I think some people are not going to be very happy.

Most people have been happy to change their pom, not realising the
elements weren't being used before. If this is something you think is
an issue, then by all means complain to the relevant list.

On the gump side, I can't see why you wouldn't use the latest no
matter how broken you think it is. Isn't that the point?

- Brett