gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven 1.1
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 05:28:28 GMT
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com> wrote:

> We actually started validating the project.xml files. Some people
> have a lot of random content in there that was previously silenty
> ignored.
>
> Maybe its worth considering them a failed build for the purposes of
> Gump so that they update it?

If it wasn't the excalibur project, maybe.

You may not have noticed it, but before I destroyed vmgump the only
project still depending on the old Avalon codebase was James - since I
don't find a replacement for meta-tools in Excalibur.  All other
dependencies, in particular commons-logging's dependency on framework
and logkit have been migrated to the Excalibur maintained versions.

On the other hand - unless Leo jumps in - I'm afraid that the
Excalibur community doesn't care about Gump that much and we'd be left
with a build tree that is only building around 50% or even less "just"
because Maven started to validate the descriptors.

Breaking backwards compatibility, even with the best reasons, is very
difficult to do and to get accepted.

Stefan