gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Maven 2 (was Re: Maven 1.1)
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:46:27 GMT
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 10:27:53PM +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> Yes, but you are going to have to go the other way around. It's a
> component that resolves artifacts and metadata. It doesn't get fed, it
> hunts.

Bing! Light bulb went on in my head. Pull not push. I'm trying to think
about an easy way to do the pull stuff, but that is probably all dependent
on the mechanisms maven employs.

Both gump and maven 2 are neatly "inversion of control". Both made the right
decisions but this really makes things harder as there's a wrestle for
control. I think I now also understand better why continuum is a real need
in a maven 2 world -- its just natural to not try and to subvert the
control that maven 2 implements.

> Unfortunately, the assumptions above won't work. Maven needs to
> resolve JARs, and resolve dependencies via metadata. This means it has
> to be able to find the JARs (Seems easy enough), and the metadata -
> which means reading gump.xml/pom.xml/something-else.xml.
>
> In the part above where you create a gump object model, you will need
> to write that out in a form so that Maven (though the gump java
> helper) can digest it and get the proper ids and the dependencies.

Why do you keep referring to a something.xml? Is it going to be a lot
easier to have the maven jar resolver read a something.xml rather than do
something else (like, I dunno, a database, or an XML/RPC interface, or
...)? Just checking -- I think there's more assumptions in my head that
might need to get out.

> Is it possible for me to put ID mappings into the gump2/3 descriptor
> without breaking anything, or will we need to align them?

Gump3 will ignore everything it doesn't understand as long as its valid
XML. I think gump2 does the same but I'm less sure -- just try :-)

Hey Brett, are you going to be at ApacheCon and esp. the hackathon? I'd
love to get some help digesting maven 2 internals! :-)

cheers,

Leo