gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Maven 1.1 (was Re: svn commit: r330729 - /gump/metadata/project/struts.xml)
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:10:26 GMT
On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 09:53:01PM +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> We probably need a compatibility option, but it's listed on the known
> incompatibility pages.

Aw, that sucks as a concept! I thought maven1 was going to stay compatible
and there'd be painfulness only once (maven1 -> maven2)?

> We actually started validating the project.xml files. Some people have
> a lot of random content in there that was previously silenty ignored.

Grr. Very useful, that was. I know I did stuff like

  <jsd>
    <custom-metadata-here/>
  </jsd>

:-)

> Maybe its worth considering them a failed build for the purposes of
> Gump so that they update it?

IMHO maven is broken and its behaviour should change. Validate XML if
there is a reference to a DTD or a schema or a pomVersion bigger than X,
otherwise preserve the old behavior. Or something.

If maven is not going to change, then yes, that would make sense, but
I think some people are not going to be very happy.

cheers!

LSD