gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Gump3 presentation
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:36:10 GMT
On 26-07-2005 12:00, "Thomas" <hodden@hotpop.com> wrote:
> Hi !

Hi thomas!

(this is a quick reply, I have limited connectivity atm)

> I also have one question regarding the database.
> The causes table lists the cause of a stalled package. The same
> information could be found by listing the dependencies tree from one
> faild build. If I got it right it's the same information on two places.
> The only thing that would make my statement wrong is if:
>
> package#1 depends on package#2
> and package#1 can be build although package#2 faild.
>
> Another way my statement dosent work on is if.
>
> the causes table refer to somethig else then only dependencies.
>
> As I said before I don't know if got the causes table right need some
> clearance on that.

A cause can also be failure to update from source control (eg CVS), a
problem with the xml definitions, an internal error within gump, or
something similar. There can be multiple causes (eg multiple failed
dependencies). Think of this as a sort of "lightweight exception stack
trace".

*but*, for now, it might indeed be a good idea to just look for one
dependency that caused a problem and use that. It can be generalized later.

Cheers!

Leo