gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Gump3 & Real metadata
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 08:38:50 GMT
On 06-06-2005 01:07, "Adam  Jack" <ajack@mric.coop> wrote:
> I attempted to get the real metadata (at least, what I found in
> ./metadata/profile.xml and associated) to work with Gump3. It wasn't fun;
> nothing but nasty debugging for a long time & I still don't have it working.
> I'm going to file a bunch of JIRA entries in the hope that the original
> author can shed some light on how to attack these. Right now, I'd like Gump3
> to move forward towards real world scenarios, so it stays closer to practice
> not theory, and this is a road block to that approach.

Noted. Sorry. Basically, the modeller code still sucks badly. I wanted to
fix it a lot earlier. I'm tempted to throw most of it away (keeping just the
class organisation and interfaces between them) and do it all a little
cleaner. But I won't have time for any gump development for at least a week
or two.

My approach when writing this code was to not worry a lot of about the
"real" data as its currently used, but focus on what I thought the metadata
should look like. Since that is in my head and not written down, I'm making
it harder for you to work on Gump3.

Frustration is a often a good nudge to start refactoring or rewriting. You
should feel free to throw what I wrote away if you think that makes sense;
you won't hurt my feelings :-)

LSD