gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump3 Presentation -- choice of technology
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:52:36 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>  - Cocoon (Stefano has spent significant time on this, he feels it is worth
> evaluating.)

I spent several days designing the Gump3 architecture with Leo last year
at EuroFoo. One of the requirements for the new design was SoC, where
SoC here normally means "Separation of Concerns" and not "Summer of Code ;-)

SoC means "allow different people to do work in parallel", but also
"allow different systems to interconnect" and avoid stagnation.

This is why gump3 separated the data production side (running the
programs) from the data consumption side (presenting the acquired data).

I wrote a thing called DynaGump, based on Cocoon
(http://cocoon.apache.org/), cloned the Mozilla html pages and mounted
the whole thing.

Then I stopped and started working on the data model for the relational
database that would host the data.

Dynagump can be found inside the Gump3 branch, most specifically at

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/branches/Gump3/dynagump/

you can also find a README file that explains what to do, and pointers
to the various places you need to look at to understand what to do.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/branches/Gump3/dynagump/README.txt

                                - o -

The only think I'm asking is that you fire that and evaluate it. If
there is anything that you find useful or appealing, use it, build on it
or even rip it off. Don't worry about hurting people's feelings, we are
not attached to code or technologies, we want the functionality.

I used cocoon because, well, that's my hammer for web publishing, but if
you find that something else suites you better, you are more than
welcome to change direction and without even giving too much
explaination, just tell us that your gut felt it was better to go
somewhere else and you did, that would be just fine.

I repeat: this is your task and you are the boss. What we the
functionality, we want to see Gump3 dump data in the database and
DynaGump (or whatever you want to call it) show it to the users. Add a
few history charts, some pretty HTML (feel free to rip the one in
DynaGump if you wish to do so) in the mix and you'll see very happy
campers around here, no matter what technology makes it work.

Ah, and if you decide to go the cocoon way and need explainations or
suggestions or a shoulder to cry on, don't be shy to ask me even privately.

--
Stefano.