gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Killed Gump, removed locks
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:43:40 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <general@gump.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: Killed Gump, removed locks

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Adam R. B. Jack <ajack@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, can you be more explicit? What sort of locks?
>
> gump.lock was present, and belonged to the Gump instance from Sunday
> noon.

Ok. Just for clarity, this lock file can exist (even if the process is dead)
but unless it is POSIX locked it isn't a problem. If the process isn't dead,
chances are it is lock. Still, this is likely a side-effect of the real
problem, i.e. whatever is hanging Gump.

> Inside of workspace/cvs there have been ten .lock files all dated
> between 0 and 1am Sunday morning.

I believe these locks are (as you say) a result of SVN failures (perhaps us
killing it due to hang-up.) What we've experienced is that they cause a new
"svn update" (should one occur, see gump.lock above) to fail stating we need
to do an "svn cleanup". I'll code this one of these days, but it doesn't
seem like it should be the cause but a symptom.

So, we still need to track down the root cause of why VmGump is hanging.
Hopefully setting the number of background threads to 0 will help.

Anybody know of any log files/other on Linux that could tell us if a system
resource had been exhausted? Could (say) file handles have been exhausted,
or something else that SVN uses?

regards,

Adam