gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google SoC
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:38:14 GMT
> Justin, welcome! It's a pleasure to have you on board.

Yup, welcome & congratulations. :-)

> I would suggest you to start from Gump 3, which is a little cleaner and
> less complex and has a more modular architecture.
>
> What do others think?

Gump2 has an integration with Maven, albeit at the runtime interface (Gump2
can launch Maven) but not the metadata level, i.e. the Maven project
descriptor. This means that Gump2 processes it's own (Gump) metadata format
[1] to understand how interact with Maven, and not Maven's native version
[2], which contain the same information. This duplication makes it harder
for Maven projects to exist in Gump, even though a tool exists [4] that maps
the formats. The truism "if data exists in two places one of them is wrong"
holds, and often the Gump metadata is out of date/wrong.

We are looking for Gump3 to consume a Maven project descriptors [2]
directly. Also, one thing we wish to resolve is [3]. As such, the Gump3 code
is in SVN, at [5], although we'll figure out a better way for you to access
it.

Justin, please collect your thoughts on all this while we get the logistics
sorted out & send you details. Feel free to post ideas/questions here --
and/or update your own page on the Gump wiki (see [3]).

First though, you ought read  [6] and [7] and get your ASF CLA [8] sorted
ASAP. Please get to this ASAP, so the CLA doesn't become a bottleneck.

regards,

Adam

[1]    http://gump.apache.org/metadata/index.html
[2]