gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Move public onto JDK 1.5?
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 07:53:18 GMT
On Mon, 23 May 2005, Adam R. B. Jack <ajack@apache.org> wrote:

>> I find this time quite interesting since we see projects embrace
>> JAXP 1.3 and in particular DOM3 at very different paces.
>
> Yeah, in fact, I think it is one of the biggest deals in my memory
> of Gump.

You haven't been around for the 1.3 -> 1.4 transition 8-)

JDBC 3.0 or the fact that the JDK ships with JCE and JAXP have been
interesting as well.

> It has started to make me realize that the 'events' such as this,
> big discontinuities/big disruptions, are truely newsworthy ... and
> perhaps ought be publicized.

True.  But at the same time you cannot avoid them if you want to
evolve interfaces.

> I know you blogged about this Stefan [1], but I wonder if we ought
> have brought it up to the ASF board, and if the ASF board ought
> consider taking action based of the findings.

board would have been the wrong place for this.  Our JCP rep may have
been a better choice, but I don't think it would have changed
anything.

I don't see any way how JAXP could have embraced DOM3 without breaking
existing implementations of some interfaces.  Sure, they could have
used abstract classes instead of interfaces in the first place.

> Who knows, maybe Sun would respond to ASF highlighting a bunch of
> discontinuities. Maybe a dialogue ought occur.

If we want to do that, what we really need is Gump running on Mustang
nightlies.

> I figured a few nags might cause a few "enums" to be renamed, and
> add some value speeding up the conversion.

I already tried for Jakarta Commons and Dims committed all my patches.
There have been others, but most projects have been non-ASF projects
some of which looked stalled.

And then we had a few Maven built projects that needed to adapt to
make javac happy (specifying -target 1.1 but not setting -source at
all).  For Ant builds we've fixed them (i.e. Ant "fixes" javac's new
default for -source) with a change in Ant that went into 1.6.3.

Stefan