gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] module, project, target = repository, module, project...
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:03:13 GMT
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:

> Currently, a <module/> element tends to correspond roughly to the
> ant|maven|make definition of a project,

Really?  At least in my mind it still corresponds to a CVS module or
SVN directory.

I really still see <project> in line with the ant|maven|make
definition, conceptually, but we do have problems making it that
because we'd need to run multiple targets.

> It might make sense to make this
>
>   <module name="ant">
>   <project name="ant">
>     <target name="bootstrap"/>
>     <target name="build"/>
>     <target name="dist"/>
>   </project>
>   </module>

Yes, that would fit my mental model much better, but still, <module>
does not correspond to an Ant build file here.

> I'm tempted to do a radical remodelling of our metadata structure to
> remove this kind of ambiguity, even going as far as having
> conventions like project-name-is-file-name be gently enforced.

Take a look at the nummber of jars created by the dist-ant project.
No, I don't want to create one project for each of them, in particular
since they all get created with a single Ant target.

> Oh, ehm, I was even briefly tempted to turn our model into RDF but
> there ain't that many good tools for RDF editing :-D
>
> Your comments?

Feel free to go wild. 8-)

Stefan