gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Killed dozens of processes again
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:53:17 GMT
> It must be possible. I know os.system() or one of the other calls returns
> process id, so using that we should at least be able to kill all the
> processes we spawn directly.

Yup, tried that. Trouble is grandchildren & below, not children.

> > BTW: What is odd is that I no longer see use of "timeout" (Sam's OSS
find
> > that looks like it is either part of the OS distro now, or nicely
installed,
> > see "man timeout"). Maybe I got cocky w/ the last attempt and thought it
was
> > obsolete, 'cos I don't see it in the code at all. Shame. Maybe that
could be
> > a quick and dirty way to get the job done.
>
> Hmm. I'd really love a "proper" way as well. I'm very stubborn. I believe
> this must be possible. Just need to learn enough about unix process
> management :-D

I agree w/ that. I'd love to rip out the complex code we have there, and do
it right. I think the solution lies w/ Process Groups. Basically we ought be
able to set a child (and hence it's offspring) into a process group (just
like when on does 'bg' we get a job number, that is the group id). We can
then send a signal to the process group. I think it is as simply as that,
but maybe there is an issue figuring out what id is next available.
Hopefully that does it...

regards

Adam