gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Brutus changes (for sharing a common CVS|SVN staging area).
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:32:21 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <general@gump.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 6:53 AM
Subject: Re: Brutus changes (for sharing a common CVS|SVN staging area).

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Adam Jack <ajack@mric.coop> wrote:
>
> > Since these three runs use the trunk of SVN, the change I added last
> > week (to [on posix] file lock the module prior to a CVS|SVN update)
> > ought be in effect.
>
> I think the sync step needs to lock the directories as well, since
> otherwise the working copy after sync can be in an inconsistent state.

Good point. I wasn't clear. The cvs|svn|* update and automatic sync (not
dependent upon if the update did anythnig) are within a single lock. Crude,
but since we don't expect overlap, it ought be painless.

> > [RT: I wonder if we could even overlay runs, having them use the
> > same working areas/everything. If they clean up (via sync) before
> > they run, I wonder where the harm might be.]
>
> If they overlap in time, the later will sync away contents the one
> that has started first still needs.  Say "public" is still running and
> somewhere down to project number 600 and Kaffe starts and syncs away
> ant.jar.  Wouldn't be nice for public's project 601.

I wasn't think for the main public run, just for non-overlapping sub-runs
(that we wanted to make space for.) Just an RT.

regards

Adam