gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Moving to python 2.4 for Gump3
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:13:57 GMT
> I propose we start requiring Python 2.4 for Gump3.

Stefan's concerns outstanding, I'm ok with this.

> Motivation:
> 1) the "subprocess" module described in PEP 324 finally properly solves
> running processes within python using a decent interface. It's new in
python
> 2.4. Needless to say, we run a lot of subprocesses!

Good find, looks nice. It does seem to have the abilities I've been seeking,
including passing environments in a thread safe manner.

I suspect, however, we'd still want to (on posix) set the process group
leadership prior to invoking the subprocess, and later (if needed) killing
the process group. [Almost seemed we could use the preexec_fn to do this,
but I suspect we'd still need to fork (to get the child pid/group id).] This
won't be available to us on Windows, but then we are no worse off than
today.

Maybe we'll pickup some (small) mileage from being able to close the
processes stdout/stderr. I assume we'd close stdin from the start.

regards,

Adam