gump-general mailing list archives

From Samuel Andrew McIntyre <fuzzylo...@nonintuitive.com>
Subject Re: derby build
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:22:38 GMT

On Jan 24, 2005, at 12:49 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Seems you are using a
> different address for sending than you've subscribed with.

That does explain some of my problems. That will hopefully be fixed on
my end going forward. :)

> By now you can rely on Gump running on JDK 1.4+.
>
> Does the build process always build against the different runtime,
> even if they are not present at all?  How?  Do you ship with JDBC
> interface classes for them?

That is a complicated question. Currently the build process for Derby
expects multiple versions of the runtime classes to be accessible (but
not in the classpath simultaneously). The compilation classpath is set
in the buildfiles explicitly to reflect which version of the JDBC
interfaces need to be accessible at any given time. Also, derby.jar
ships with multiple versions of the same interface and the correct
version is chosen at runtime.

To elaborate:

Short answer: The build process requires that both JDBC 2.0 (JDK 1.3)
and JDBC 3.0 (JDK 1.4) versions of certain interfaces be present at
specific points in the build process in order to build all the
necessary classes needed for the product jar file. The build process is
not currently able to handle the situation where one of those
interfaces is not accessible. The classes for both JDBC 2.0 and JDBC
3.0 implementations are shipped in the same product jar file, and the
correct classes are chosen at runtime depending on the version of Java
running Derby at that moment.

Long answer: There are implementations of both the JDBC 2.0 and JDBC
3.0 interfaces in Derby. These public implementations use internal APIs
to perform the work that is requested through the public
implementations. At the moment, the JDBC 3.0 implementations are
extensions of the JDBC 2.0 implementations, which means that the JDBC
2.0 implementations must be correctly compiled before the JDBC 3.0
implementations. Also, because users expect Derby to be compatible with
both JDBC 2.0 and JDBC 3.0 at runtime, it is important to provide the
proper version of both JDBC interfaces at runtime. Which means
packaging all supported versions of those interfaces in the same jar
file.

Please allow me to pick this up tomorrow, at a more forgiving hour. :-)

andrew