gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Gump 3.0
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:19:49 GMT
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> So, here is my first suggestion: split gump in three stages.
>>
>>   1) metadata aggregation
>>   2) build
>>   3) build data use
>
> Sounds good.

One additional thing.

I'd love to have part 2 separated into at least three steps that can
get invoked indiviually:

2a) SCM update
2b) syncing updated working copy with workspace
2c) building

With "traditional Gump" it has been possible to modify classes in the
workspace and rebuild using Gump.  This has been very useful in
resolving Gump problems in the past.  Right now I don't see an easy
way to do this.

For example, I "fixed" the commons-jelly-tags-ant build by patching
the jelly-util taglib.  I verified it would fix the Gump build by
applying my patch locally and only building commons-jelly-tags-util
and after that commons-jelly-tags-ant.

Using current Gump my local patch would have been blown away by CVS
updates or syncs - unless I applied it in what is supposed to be a
clean checkout and disconnected from the network.

Also, just building commons-jelly-tags-util and commons-jelly-tags-ant
without rebuilding Ant and all that seems to be impossible right now
(I may be wrong, though).

Stefan