gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump and APR
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:51:26 GMT
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> My understanding of make is that you could do this:
>
> <FLAG=blah> make <target> <parameters>
>
> So the ability to "make" needs to:
>
> - allow environment vars to be set before make
> - allow zero or more targets
> - allow other parameters

target can already be done right now.

> Configure would be the same.

Yes.

My first focus is going to support parameters for configure since this
will solve most issues we have, at least I expect that.  We always add
more stuff later on (maybe my Python skills improve over time as well
8-).

> Thing is autoconf, automake, configure, make, etc are all just
> scripts, it would be nice to have a generic script runner too.

We have, we use it for buildconf right now.  It doesn't support
arguments, though.  Not yet.

>  From the above, maybe something like this could handle the
>  possiblity of setting environment variables at the same time:
>
> <configure>
>    <environment name="CFLAGS" value="-g" />
>    <arg name="c" value="<blah>" /> <!-- becomes "-c <blah>" -->
>    <arg name="prefix" value="<blah>" /> <!-- becomes "--prefix=<blah>"
-->
>    <rawarg name="-shared" /> <!-- becomes "-shared" -->
> </configure>

I don't think I'd like the magic that's happening to distinguish the
first two cases.  Yes, I am used to -x and --xlong myself, but it
still looks non-obvious.

Cheers

        Stefan