gump-general mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: Kaffe/Jikes builds
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:44:41 GMT
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig <at> apache.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I include Jikes in the subject since the Ant breakage is due to a
> Jikes/Javac incompatibility (jikes won't accept -source 1.2).
>
> The Ant build should work on the next Kaffe run.

Thanks a lot Stefan! It worked pretty well, and more projects have now built.

> For the rest of the problems it seems that Kaffe's classlib doesn't
> implement enough of Swing (without JUnit we won't get very far) and at
> the same time implements too much of DOM3 (Node#getUserData not
> implemented in Xalan, yet).

the Xalan failure looks a bit bizarre, as I'd expect it to actually use the
org.w3c classes from xml-apis.jar.

The warning from jikes

    [javac] *** Semantic Warning: I/O warning: "No such file or directory"
while
trying to open
/home/gump/workspaces2/kaffe/workspace/xml-xalan/java/${build.boot.class.path}.

seems to indicate that kaffe somehow fails to turn ${build.boot.class.path} into
something useable.

I don't know what build.boot.class.path is though, nor was google helpful in
really finding out ;)

Beside the lacking methods in class library, the major thing that kills builds
seems to be an oddity in jikes. See
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/kaffe/jakarta-commons/commons-lang/gump_work/
build_jakarta-commons_commons-lang.html
for an example:

[javac] Found 2 semantic errors compiling
"/home/gump/workspaces2/kaffe/workspace/jakarta-commons/lang/src/java/org/
apache/commons/lang/builder/StandardToStringStyle.java":

    [javac]     81.     public boolean isShortClassName() {
    [javac]                            ^----------------^
    [javac] *** Semantic Error: The overridden method "boolean
isShortClassName();" is deprecated in type
"org.apache.commons.lang.builder.ToStringStyle".

    [javac]    102.     public void setShortClassName(boolean shortClassName) {
    [javac]                         ^---------------------------------------^
    [javac] *** Semantic Error: The overridden method "void
setShortClassName(boolean shortClassName);" is deprecated in type
"org.apache.commons.lang.builder.ToStringStyle".

I guess that's a bug in jikes.

This
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/kaffe/cpptasks/ant-contrib-cpptasks/gump_work/
build_cpptasks_ant-contrib-cpptasks.html
looks like a missing Xerces on the classpath for jikes.

cheers,
dalibor topic,
off to bed for today