gump-general mailing list archives

From "Eric Pugh" <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject RE: [vote] turning off nagging until we feel gump is solid enough for that
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:15:30 GMT
I'm glad to see that Ceki is looking for the same thing I am looking for..
Notification of when my dependee's break due to my code change.   I *think*
that is MUCH more important then notification of when my dependency breaks.
But, it all depends on the projects orientation.

The needs of project with LOTS of dependees like Ant or Log4j are quite
different from the needs of a project with very few dependee's but lots of
dependencies like Scarab or Turbine.  Out of curiosity, could these types of
notifications be made as options?  With some sort of sane defaults?

Is there a feeling that attempting to build with previous versions that
passed isn't a good idea?  If project A depends on B, and then A fails due
to incompatiblities with B, is it possible to try and build with the last
version of B that was used when A actually built?  Not sure how to express
this in mathematical terms.  This would allow for more things to build, but
would require clear notification that project A can't build with the latest
of B, but is okay with an older version.  That is basically what projects
are doing with the logging-log4j-12 branch, but in a manual fashion.

Eric