gump-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: cvs commit: logging-log4j/src/java/org/apache/log4j/net SMTPAppender.java
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:57:24 GMT

Niclas et al.,

IMHO, the kind of urgent pleas as the one by Niclas (quoted below) are
quite  inappropriate. We,  the  log4j developers,  have  the right  to
occasionally fuck up  like every one else. The fact  that a small typo
affects  200 projects  should tell  you that  something is  wrong with
Gump's current approach.

When a totally silly  problem attains such cataclysmic proportions, it
puts   us   (log4j   developers)   under   unnecessary   and   useless
pressure.  Please revise your  model so  that a  silly mistake  can be
sidestepped without affecting 200 projects. For example, just alerting
log4j-dev  and having  the 200  affected projects  to  use yesterday's
version of log4j would have been much better.

I  am pleased  to  see that  the  problem on  our  side was  corrected
promptly. I am much less so with nature of the social interaction that
led to it.

--
Ceki Gülcü

  The complete log4j manual: