gump-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [vote] turning off nagging until we feel gump is solid enough for that
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:12:13 GMT
At 03:44 PM 12/1/2004, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>I think it's better if we start to nag ourselves first and see how we can
>increase the signal/noise ratio before we go back public.

It's not only about gump's signal/noise ratio but the attitude adopted
when things break. Allowing unaware developers to become aware that
things broke (or may brake) offers tangible benefits.

Once the dialog is triggered, it should go both ways. Depicting gump
offenders as morons won't get us anywhere.

In the past, the social algorithm for gump has been:

1) Gump checks for dependency issues.

2) If gump detects problems, social pressure is applied on the
offender until the offenders yield. Otherwise, the offender is
depicted as an insensitive moron.

I suggest you review this social algorithm.

--
Ceki Gülcü

  The complete log4j manual:  http://qos.ch/eclm
  Professional log4j support: http://qos.ch/log4jSupport