gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XML Resolver for Xerces on Kaffe was Re: Hello Gump)
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 05:47:12 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Do we need per "environment" dependency settings, or do we just work to
> the lowest common denominator? Ought we try to test against latest classes
> and not rely upon what is in the JDK, or optimally would we want "both"?

I rather strongly feel opposed to have per-workspace dependency settings.

The whole point of a virtual machine is that everything should work
exactly the same.

This means that even if the JDK ships with the xml resolver, I think
that xerces should depend on it even in sun's JDK builds. Not only this
would fix Kaffe, but it would also allow xerces to know if xml-commons
changes their contracts, in perfect gump style.

--
Stefano.