gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Kaffe instance and ant-bootstrap
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 08:32:07 GMT
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig <bodewig <at> apache.org> writes:
>>
>> Ant's bootstrap script can use jikes easily by setting the JAVAC
>> environment variable.
>
> Ah, cool, I didn't know that. Since which version of ant is that the
> case?

Hmm, the change has been made four years ago for the jpackage folks
(who wanted to bootstrap using jikes ;-).  So it in there since
Ant 1.3.

<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/bootstrap.sh?r1=1.22&r2=1.23>

> Yes. the main reason is that kjc is not greedy wrt to resolving
> missing classes, whereas most other compilers are, so people
> naturally write build.xml files that don't work with kjc, which
> needs to be fed all classes on the command line.

Detecting those builds may be interesting in itself, but folks would
be unlikely to change their build files - but rather tell you that
kopi was broken.

Cheers

        Stefan