gump-general mailing list archives

From "Eric Pugh" <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject RE: Standing back (for a while?)...
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:54:05 GMT
Niclas (and Gang),

I can understand how you feel, and I think that part of the issue is that
building from the latest and greatest all the way up and down the tree is
somewhat of an impossible task.  I know for example that until
commons-configuration does another release, fulcrum-configuration won't
build due to API changes.  Right now, everybody is failing because Velocity
hasn't kept up with Log4j.  And, on a certain level, expecting a component
to keep up with CVS head of another component isn't realisitic.

The things that I think would help are:
1) Identifiable people for each component.  If there ISN'T an Apache owner
for a component, it should be a library.   We need someone who will get the
fix in ASAP when the build fails.  Jakarta-velocity has been broken for 33
runs, leading to either 150 or 165 projects to not attempt to build.  Who
will fix it?

2) Need the fallback!  With jakarta-velocity failing, Gump apparently tries
but fails to fallback to the previously built version.  The fallback is
crucial to prevent the small errors from creeping in.

3) Don't email me when a dependency starts building and therefore I build.
I don't care if I build successfully because a dependency built.  I only
care when I fail.  When something with a lot of dependencies builds, I get
spammed a million times by Gump, which leads to the "Gump being ignored"
syndrome.

My 2 cents, and I hope after a breather you rejoin!  You've personally done
a lot to help me learn Gump, and get the fulcrum components to build
happily.

Eric