gump-general mailing list archives

From "Eric Pugh" <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject RE: failure notice
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:04:41 GMT
Jar upgrades are never easy.  I would venture a guess that in Log4j world,
1.3 is the equvalent of 2.0 in other projects.  Especially if you count how
many 1.2.x releases there where..

The worst thing that can happen is that the o.a.l.RFA class is grabbed out
of log4j just to provide the compatiblity.  I hate that when I have
hibernate.jar and commons-lang.jar that eclipse prompts me for which path to
import from for my NestableException!

I do think that log4j-user is going to recieve a lot of emails about why
config files quit working.  I would grab a 1.3 and slap it in place of 1.2.8
without thinking about it if I didn't know how big the 1.3 upgrade was for
log4j.

Geir, have you thought about using commons-logging as a wrapper/hider of the
other logging solutions?  That might allow you to not include log4j and
logkit jars, and give you support of theoretically many logging solutions?

ERic