gump-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: failure notice
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:58:42 GMT

On Nov 30, 2004, at 8:32 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> At 03:39 AM 11/30/2004, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> some lists choose to moderate...
>
> Hello Geir,
>
> We currently don't but may switch back to moderated list. Sorry about
> the hassle.
>
>> anyway, the interesting thing is the problem I have fixing Velocity
>> so Gump is happy ...
>
> Niclas Hedhman informed us of this problem. There was a conscious
> choice to remove the old RollingAppender and replace with something
> better.

That's all well and good, but why not deprecate for a version?

> To help you solve this problem there several routes exists. First and
> more philosophically, there is more to software development than
> keeping gump happy.

This is true.  100%

But what gump has done here is given us early warning that if one of us
doesn't do something, Velocity users [and every other log4j user using
RollingFileAppender] are *screwed* if they try to upgrade a minor
version number of log4j, to 1.3.

> Having said that, you can keep gump happy by either switching to
> FileAppender or keep your own version of RollingFileAppender.

If I switch to FileAppender, then the software won't behave the same
(right?) or yes, I can take the RollingFileAppender code from you and
put in Velocity, but I think that's suboptimal :)

What I want is that existing velocity users can upgrade to log4j 1.3
w/o hassle.

> Perhaps the easiest alternative is to have velocity explicitly tell
> gump that velocity depends on log4j 1.2.x and not log4j head. Actually
> this would  be he action I would recommended.

But forgetting Gump, in general, what do you want me and other users to
do?  have to modify our code to update to 1.3?

geir

geir@gluecode.com