gump-general mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What do we do with "beanutils"?
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 01:57:40 GMT
Ok, we need a solution for when a project changes names. There have
been suggestions in the past, let's round them up:

- gump has a dummy project "beanutils" that depends just on
beanutils-core. I don't think this works with Maven though.

- projects declare any aliases in their gump descriptor (and Maven
allows that in the POM so it can generate the descriptor for them). So
beanutils-core has an alias of beanutils

- we don't do any gump solutions, and we maintain the big mapping file
in the maven gump plugin, so it can change the dependencies when
converting the gump descriptor. We look to store that mapping file in
gump, instead.

- we don't do anything. When a project changes name, they accept they
are going to break projects and they have to catch up. Possibly, the
previous version keeps the name so that projects keep building?
(others have more passionate feelings about how gump should behave in
this way I think, so I'll leave that to them).

Thoughts? (2) seems the best if possible on the gump end. Both (2) and
(3) are easy from the maven end.

Cheers,
Brett