gump-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: failure notice
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:32:06 GMT
At 02:58 PM 11/30/2004, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>On Nov 30, 2004, at 8:32 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
>>At 03:39 AM 11/30/2004, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>>some lists choose to moderate...
>>
>>Hello Geir,
>>
>>We currently don't but may switch back to moderated list. Sorry about the
>>hassle.
>>
>>>anyway, the interesting thing is the problem I have fixing Velocity so
>>>Gump is happy ...
>>
>>Niclas Hedhman informed us of this problem. There was a conscious choice
>>to remove the old RollingAppender and replace with something better.
>
>That's all well and good, but why not deprecate for a version?

Because the old RollingAppender has bugs. Consequently, we don't want to
make it available to Mrs. Piggy in the next version of log4j 1.3.

>But what gump has done here is given us early warning that if one of us
>doesn't do something, Velocity users [and every other log4j user using
>RollingFileAppender] are *screwed* if they try to upgrade a minor version
>number of log4j, to 1.3.

>What I want is that existing velocity users can upgrade to log4j 1.3 w/o
>hassle.

Log4j 1.3 is currently in alpha. Ignore 1.3 until it goes RC. When it goes
RC, switch to 1.3. It should be trivial to do so.

>But forgetting Gump, in general, what do you want me and other users to
>do?  have to modify our code to update to 1.3?

Wait, don't do anything for the time being. Velocity ships with a copy
log4j doesn't it? Continue to ship log4j 1.2.9 until you decide to switch
to 1.3, for example when it goes RC. Switching velocity to use log4j 1.3
instead of 1.2 should be pretty easy to do.

How does that sound?

--
Ceki Gülcü

  The complete log4j manual:  http://qos.ch/eclm