gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] removing non-ASF leaves from the workspace
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:41:41 GMT
Conor MacNeill wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Conor MacNeill wrote:

>>> The downside of this idea is that ASF projects will lose warnings
>>> about incompatible changes they make that break non-ASF projects.
>>

>> I said: remove non-ASF project that ASF projects don't depend upon.
>>

> You are talking about removing non-ASF projects upon which no ASF
> projects depend, right?. I understand this. Please have another read of
> what I said.
>
> By removing those non-ASF projects from Gump, you lose an indication of
> the downstream effects of changes in ASF projects.
>
> Let's take Barcode4J as a (random) example. It depends upon the ASF
> projects, xalan and avalon-framework. By removing Barcode4J from Gump,
> you will no longer notice when changes in Xalan and Avalon break Barcode4J.
>
> In effect, barcode4J acts as a testcase for its dependencies and you
> propose to remove that test. I understand the motivation, I'm not
> particularly concerned, but there is a potential downside, which I
> thought was worth noting.

Conor,

my apologies. You are right and I misunderstood your statement.

Point well taken (and echoing with Leo's comment).

So, let me rephrase my proposal:

If a project:

  1) is not an ASF project
  2) no ASF project depend on it
  3) has been broken for a while and shows no sign of activity (gump-wise)

we remove it from the gump.xml profile that brutus runs. As a result:

  1) we save some time and space
  2) we obtain a more reasonable indication that the gump status *is* is
a measure of the community integration

Thoughts?

--
Stefano.