gump-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: failure notice
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:50:09 GMT

On Nov 30, 2004, at 9:32 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> At 02:58 PM 11/30/2004, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>>> Hello Geir,
>>>
>>> We currently don't but may switch back to moderated list. Sorry
>>> about the hassle.

>>> Niclas Hedhman informed us of this problem. There was a conscious
>>> choice to remove the old RollingAppender and replace with something
>>> better.
>>
>> That's all well and good, but why not deprecate for a version?
>
> Because the old RollingAppender has bugs. Consequently, we don't want
> to make it available to Mrs. Piggy in the next version of log4j 1.3.

Mrs. Piggy?

Can you make o.a.l.RFA be an adapter for o.a.l.rolling.RFA?

>> But what gump has done here is given us early warning that if one of
>> us doesn't do something, Velocity users [and every other log4j user
>> using RollingFileAppender] are *screwed* if they try to upgrade a
>> minor version number of log4j, to 1.3.
>
>> What I want is that existing velocity users can upgrade to log4j 1.3
>> w/o hassle.
>
> Log4j 1.3 is currently in alpha. Ignore 1.3 until it goes RC. When it
> goes RC, switch to 1.3. It should be trivial to do so.

It is, but requires a code change.  For people with code in production,
asking to do a code change to upgrade log4j is asking a lot.

>> But forgetting Gump, in general, what do you want me and other users
>> to do?  have to modify our code to update to 1.3?
>
> Wait, don't do anything for the time being. Velocity ships with a copy
> log4j doesn't it?

no, we just tell people that we have a logger that writes to it.

>  Continue to ship log4j 1.2.9 until you decide to switch to 1.3, for
> example when it goes RC. Switching velocity to use log4j 1.3 instead
> of 1.2 should be pretty easy to do.
>
> How does that sound?

We don't ship log4j.  We support having velocity log to a whole bunch
of things, log4j being one of them (and probably the most popular...)

geir

geir@gluecode.com