gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Kaffe instance and ant-bootstrap
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:27:23 GMT
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:

> I have looked at the Kaffe instance and its inability to create the
> Ant bootstrap.
>
> The first level of problem is that the Kaffe compiler doesn't imply
> any source files that are not specified, and that results in the
> immense number of "Cannot find class".

I think the only viable solution is to drop kopi and use jikes as a
compiler.  The very same problem is likely to come up in javac tasks
later on as well.

There already is an issue in Jira for this.

Ant's bootstrap script can use jikes easily by setting the JAVAC
environment variable.

> I don't know if we should proceed by convincing Ant to introduce
> this to their codebase, or we should maintain a separate bootstrap
> script.

I'd prefer to really not use kopi at all.  I've been told that even
the Kaffe people prefer to use Jikes.

Any approach like yours will need to be maintained when classes get
added to Ant.

Stefan